Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Re: Twitter Updates

This post is directed mostly to my mom and dad (and possibly my sister too) who have never heard of Twitter. It's another social networking phenom sort of like Facebook that enables its users to send and read other users' daily (or hourly) updates known as tweets. In this fashion, Twitter is more of a micro-blogging tool where Facebook is an all-encompassing social network. Although both FB and Twitter have these "update" features, FB and Twitter are very different. Twitter is much more conversational and filled with observations on the world while Facebook status updates tend to stick to a formulaic “I am doing this,” or “I have done this.” Many FB users only update their status once a day, if that, while Twitterers update more often. You can also follow the tweets of famous people (I'm following Ben Kweller and Jimmy Fallon) or news stations (i.e. NPR). I have really enjoyed this last feature as I feel less ignorant already. Also, Twitterers have developed their own language (twead, tweetup, twis, twadd) which adds to the richness/addictiveness of the network.

I just signed up for Twitter this week, as a way to keep track of what I'm doing and thinking on a daily basis. I have planted a Twitter widget into my blog so you can follow my updates as well and get a better feeling for how I'm spending my days.

Happy Tweading!

No comments:

Post a Comment