Monday, January 4, 2010

RACE DAY (Spin Profile #41)


Over the course of the last semester, I pondered what makes a good spin class. And more importantly, what makes my spin class awesome?

1. Music. Connecting me and the participants to the music.
2. Well thought-out and organized profile that fits with the music.
3. Challenging. My classes are hard. I push us to only take breaks at the end of a set.
4. Sense of team. We're in this together. For me, it's not just about showing up to class, playing the profile, and then leaving. I care about the Team and if we all meet our goals (and whether or not we all make it through and feel good about ourselves afterwards).
5. Innovation leads to motivation. I keep myself and the team excited about coming to class with new ideas: new music, themes, race day, spin list serve
6. Belief in my Team. I believe that everyone can do more than they think. Sometimes we all need just one person to believe in us and push us to that next level.

Notice how I mention 'Team' several times. Last January, I was taught in my Body Pump training to think of myself more as a coach than an instructor; to think of my class as my Team. The number one aspect of college that I miss the most is my Track Team: people with whom I share common goals and who support me to achieve those goals. In following this train of thought, I realized that perhaps the students who come to my class are looking for those same things. A sense of belonging to a team that will help them feel good and challenge to the next level.

This is when I thought about doing a Race Day. As a runner, I've had many opportunities to experience the adrenaline rush and re-motivating euphoria of a race. This is what we need our spin team to experience as well! You may wonder, "Nina, you're on an indoor-stationary bike, how can you have a race?" With a little planning, creativity, competition, and just the right spin profile, you can simulate the feeling of showing up to that starting line, racing through an 'out and back' race course, and challenging yourself to your edge.
What does that mean for the indoor cyclist? Racing means (at least to me), picking a pace that is not comfortable and holding it (more or less steady). On our bikes, there is neither a heart monitor nor a pedometer...so the only way to gauge effort level is by manually checking your HR and the less-scientific approach of "How do I feel." Either way, the goal is to keep your heart rate above 80% for most of the ride (just a slight break in the middle on the "turn around").

To hype the event and add on mystery, I organized a spinning list serve with the regulars (this actually has turned out to be a great tool to connect with regulars and get song suggestions). I made sure that people knew this was coming and to mark their calendars, but I didn't really say what it meant. Unbeknownst to my spinners, I started preparing them for Race Day two months in advance with Endurance and Strength Profiles and also by slowly decreasing the number of breaks allowed. For example, we started out the semester doing sets of two songs--can take a water break at this point. Then it became after three, then four and so on. We slowly increased our overall endurance so by the time Race Day came around, we had the endurance to last through 6 (regular length) songs without a break.

It took me three weeks to narrow down the profile. I at first thought of doing only longer-than-seven-minute songs to encourage the endurance aspect...but there are not many songs that everyone can stand for seven minutes. And many of them start out with slow, guitar anthems...
I decided on five songs to take us out, one middle song to transition us for the turnaround, and then four songs (more intense pace) to take us back.

Instead of a usual profile filled with different drills, I kept it simple. It's a race after all, we want it simple and you wouldn't be doing drills or intervals in a race. So, I had two commands: Rolling and Flats. Rolling means we turn the resistance up to a 2 (aka your challenge resistance) and go out to standing-position 3. Flats means we sit down, turn the resistance down, and get on the FR cadence. That "rolling" was meant as a sprint up a hill. In terms of how fast you should be going, mostly the cadence/tempo of the song is a good indicator. For instance, Take My Hand by Simple Plan is FAST and it's near the end, so just keep up with the song.

But remember, this is a race. Every moment should be at your edge. There are only three speeds today: FAST, FASTER, and FASTEST!

Additional Surprises:
1. Set the bikes up in a square. Everyone had a partner/competitor across from them
2. Decorated with Penn-colored streamers
3. Made sweatbands for each participant. Each had one of my favorite motivational words on it (Endure, Fire It Up, SexyBack...)
4. Each bike had card on it with one of the words from the sweatband with an inspirational quote on it or technique. Participants were given sweatband upon entering and had to find their matching bike
5. Each bike also had a post card of (what I thought) was a good visualization (mountains, beach, sunsets...)
6. I brought out my cowbell (what race isn't complete without one) and used it in the second half to signify bursts of speed (Fast, Faster, Fastest)

The List:
1. I'll Be There For You by The Rembrandts (3:08)
2. Faith by George Michael (3:13)
3. Sex Bomb by Tom Jones (6:05)
4. I'd Do Anything For Love by Meatloaf (7:41)
5. Like A Prayer by Madonna (5:41)/treat this song like it's the last one. FASTEST! Break is coming in next song.
6. Take My Hand by Dido (6:43)/take the first minute to get control of breath and form...as the song picks up, so do you with some easy rolling.
7. Phantom of the Opera by Harajuku (6:21)/Back to our max intensity! (brought the cowbell out for this...bursts of all out sprints)
8. Hey Girl by O.A.R. (8:14)
9. Take My Hand by Simple Plan (3:51)/Coach ppl to go all out for the last two songs by moving at cadence or faster. This is RACE DAY! ENDURANCE AND STAMINA CHALLENGE TO THE MAX!
10. Halo/Walking On Sunshine by Glee Cast (2:05)
11. Symphony No. 9 Choral: IV. Ode To Joy by London Symphony Orchestra (3:19)

2 comments:

  1. Love to use Halo/Walking on Sunshine in class. And Ode to Joy may be the best song ever. Looks like an awesome ride. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you purchase the sweatbands from?

    ReplyDelete