Thursday, February 12, 2009

Nina Solo

First off, I'm getting my own BODYPUMP class starting next week. My boss has deemed me ready, so here I go!

**New classes to my schedule**
Monday's @ 7:30 pm = SPIN
Thursday's @ 7:30 pm = BODYPUMP
Saturday's @ 11:00 am = SPIN

In the second half of the semester (after Spring Break), I'll be teaching additional BP classes. I was lucky to get added to the schedule mid-quarter as that's usually not done. I must be doing pretty well! (NB, I'm still teaching the original spin classes Monday @ 6:30am and Friday's @ 2pm (Row Team only). I've be co-teaching BP on Tuesday's and Friday's at 5:30pm--I'm not sure yet if I'll continue this, I'll let you know).

Last night was my first solo BODYPUMP class. For the past month I've been co-teaching with my boss, Katie. I taught three tracks to begin with, then moved up to five (out of ten). I guess Katie thought I was ready to graduate as she let me sub a BP class last night.

As I was walking from the lab to the gym, my heart was racing. I was listening to the music and miming the moves, reassuring myself that I'm ready and I'm going to do great.

Yeah, I was a little nervous.

When I arrived at the studio, I didn't know anyone there. I didn't even know the bouncer. This was bizarre because I'm friendly with a lot of people at the gym, including every other class monitor. I had hoped to see at least one friendly face. I started the class promptly at 6:15 with a packed room--forty twenty-something year old's! If I had hoped to start off with a smaller, less intimidating group, no dice. I put a smile on my face and outwardly appeared calm and composed. I was thankful that I perform well under pressure.

It technically went very well. We got a great workout, I didn't mess up the choreography, people applauded at the end and asked me about my other classes--all positive responses. For me, however, there was just something missing. I didn't feel quite myself. Sure, I said everything that I had wanted to say, but I didn't feel like I was really connecting with the group. It's really hard to judge what people are thinking though--forty people staring at you, not making much noise. I'm used to teaching with Katie and we bring alot of energy and positive reinforcement not only to the group, but to each other as well. It's much harder when it's just you up there trying to make a connection with that many people who don't know you from Darth.

Things that I'm working on:
1) pre-cueing. I'm now at the point where I have the chorey down 100%. I need to just get more confident with the pre-cues about 4-8 beats before the actual change in movement.

2) Initial cues. I have gotten much better at keeping the transitions quick between songs, keeping people moving and motivated. I just have to keep practicing my little speeches so they come out without thought. Just focus on a couple of key technique points then quickly move on.

3) Motivational cues. I'm already sliding into some repetitive habits. I heard myself saying "dig in" and "awesome" way too many times. I looked through my BP handbook and training notes today and found alot of suggestions. I'm going to try to incorporate these words: explode, power, drive, fire. For the slow moves: ease, ooze, put on brakes.

4) Teaching to all three learning styles: visual, aural, kinesthetic
While I'm doing the moves, take my hand off the bar and point out the key technique. Like in lunges, put hand/arm vertically in air--body should be moving straight up and down. I also am going to write out three key technique points to say during the track--but very succinctly (follow up cues).

5) I think this connection problem will work itself out once I get my own class and I've done the whole thing to a crowd several times. This is how it was with the spin class. I get super pumped for it, but I no longer feel nervous before a spin class. I also feel like myself and completely at ease. This feeling of ease and self-confidence just comes with practice.

I always like to remind myself when I get too critical to take a couple steps back and look at the big picture: this was my first time by myself (and the first time teaching the entire class) and most importantly the main goals were all accomplished. The things that I am criticizing are advanced coaching principles--I've got the basics down and I should be proud of myself for that.

Thanks for your support!

2 comments:

  1. if only you were teaching in boston! sounds like a great class. cmo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks C! Next time you visit...

    ReplyDelete