Thursday, February 26, 2009

Heffeweizen, Burgers, and Truffled Popcorn: A Perfect Winter Evening At The Royal Tavern

It's Thursday, so of course I'm already dreaming about the weekend: where am I eating, with whom am I eating, and what am I eating? My New Year's Resolution this year was to try out new places to eat in Philly. In my search for little known gems, I came across a helpful article in the Philadelphia Weekly on "The 50 Best Bars In Philly." This led me to their "Top 50" website and a handy restaurant/drinks search tool. You can perform searches according to price, neighborhood, cuisine, and time of day/week.

Search engine aside, the Top 50 list itself is pretty impressive. After a quick scan of the list and recognizing a few of the places, I absently nodded my head in agreement: yes, I should put my taste buds in the hands of these talented reviewers.(www.philadelphiaweekly.com/articles/16566/cover-story)

The first place I hit up on the list was called The Royal Tavern and did not disappoint! I have already been back four times, each time ordering a different entree and each time being thoroughly pleased. Located near 6th & Passayunk, it's a small, one-room "gastrobar"on the fringe of South Philly and the Italian Market and in the heart of the Bella Vista neighborhood. It's a great, low-key refuge for anyone trying to get out of the cold, have a beer and some food (it has a bar + dining area). The atmosphere is chill, twenty/thirty something, and semi-hipster. The white twinkle lights that adorn the walls and low lighting enhance the gastrobar aura.

The menu features fare that you would see at any pub, but often with a gourmet flair (hence it's label as a gastrobar). For example, the popcorn with truffle butter ($3) is divine! Great accompaniment to the wide selection of microbrews and other, more well known beers. I personally love to order a heffeweizen or a weizenbock (i.e. Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse) and the popcorn. The range of appetizers is eclectic (from mussels with chorizo to arugula salad with white beans, prosciutto, grilled asparagus, pickled egg, white balsamic vinaigrette). The portions are comfortably large, made with the best in season ingredients and very well priced. You can eat here on a budget and feel like you haven't eaten greasy crap that leaves a rock-like feeling in your belly!

The main entrees are fabulous as well. Full panel of sandwiches, burgers, pizzas, and pastas/gnocchi. I can personally vouch for the grilled cheese (with gouda, provolone AND goat cheese = very VERY filling and tasty) and the Royal Burger (bacon, caramelized onions, smoked gouda, pickled longhots and chili mayonnaise on seeded brioche bun). With all of the working out I do during the week, I am absolutely craving a burger by Friday night. Royal does the job (and more). Very satisfying. Amazingly, this is also a vegan/vegetarian friendly place--pretty rare for a bar in Philly. I personally haven't tried any of these entrees, but Taylor over at the "Mac and Cheese" blog (http://macandcheesereview.blogspot.com/2007/03/royal-tavern.html) can vouch for those options.

In sum, you can't beat the balance between the quality of the ingredients versus the price. Bring your friends, chat and chillax. I can't wait for my popcorn and burger fix tomorrow night!

Info:
Royal Tavern
937 E Passyunk Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19147
215-389-6694
Mon.-Fri. 11:30-2AM
Sat.-Sun. 10-2AM
*They also serve breakfast which I didn't know about until writing this review. Maybe I need to check this out? Just to be thorough of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment