Friday, May 8, 2009

"Hip-sters U-nite!" Spin Profile #14

Excited to find out the great songs I have lined up for this week's spin class? I sure am! Have I mentioned before how much I love to plan out these classes? Maybe? As always, it's a challenge and a pleasure to mesh what I'd like to groove to versus what I think the spinners in my class will enjoy.

The past couple of weeks have been stressful for all. Whether the cause be the end of your school year, getting ready to apply to med school (that's me), or paying all those bills, we could all use a fun and challenging workout. It's the one hour of the day where nothing else exists but that bike and you.

This is what I enjoy most about teaching: no matter how my day is going or how tired I feel, the moment I sit on that bike and focus on the music and the moves, everything else melts away. This is what I want everyone in the class to experience. And this is what I aim for when I'm picking music. Music that's relatable, singable, and recognizable. If you can connect to the music, it's easier to forget about the burning in your legs or the stresses happening outside the room.

Here's the new spin profile for Saturday's class. Filled with my own college fav's (Something Corporate, The Bens), songs my band has covered (Stairway, Need You Back, Cherub Rock, With Or Without You), old marching band songs (Centerfold) and other songs that are just plain fun. That's the key word here: fun. I'm sooo ready for some workout fun!

1. Hurricane by Something Corporate (3:51)/Warm Up
2. I touch myself by The Pretenders (3:45)/Warm Up Mix
3. Mr. Jones by Counting Crows (4:33)/Warm Up Run

4. All I Really Want by Alanis Morissette (4:45)
Verse: Modified Jumps (get on the fast beat)
Mix up counts of 2, 4, and 8
May throw in a pickup during chorus (standing run)

5. Bruised by The Bens (4:40)
Verse: Cadence @ 7
Chorus: Sprint with resistance (option bring it to flat road)

6. Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots by The Flaming Lips (4:48)
Seated/Standing Climb, Inc Every 30sec

7. Centerfold by J. Geils Band (3:39)
Jumps. Verse 8cts. Chorus 4 cts. Last chorus, sit it down + pick up pace

8. 500 Miles by Proclaimers (3:39)
Verse: Seated Climb
Chorus: Standing Surge

9. Drunk Girl by Something Corporate (4:08)
Verse: Standing Climb
Chorus: Sprint

10. With Or Without You by U2 (4:56)
Rolling Hills. 10 sec intervals. Up for 3, down for 3 (increase 3x10sec then decr 3x10sec)

11. Need You Back by Ben Kweller (3:17)
Surges @ 7 or 8. Cadence during verse. Stand up and surge during chorus. Challenge: stay standing during verse. Easier option is to sit it back down.

12. Cherub Rock by Smashing Pumpkins (5:01)
20 sec intervals. 20 sec isolation/slower--standing in position 3 @ 9; 20sec seated pickup (FAST) @ 6 (just a little heavier than FR).
Last ~60 sec = sprint to finish. Big build up.

13. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zepellin (8:36)
Start out at the top of the hill. Standing Climb @ 9 for four minutes. Come down to 8: 2 minutes of slow paced modified jumps. Come down to 6: standing or seated run/sprint to end. Go with the song.

14. Crazy Love by Van Morrison (2:37)
Cool Down

No comments:

Post a Comment