Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Kia Ora

Here it is finally. Blog entry about the Body Pump training. I've been sitting on this post for almost two weeks now. I changed my mind just about every day regarding what I wanted to say about this and how to best explain the experience. Two Sunday's ago I felt changed. Not in a huge "I'm not the same person at all" way, but in a more subtle, "new perspective on life" way. Confidence and positive energy were bursting from the seams (ok that may have also been my quads wanting to rip out of my jeans from all the squats and lunges). I was walking proud, albeit slightly bow-legged, with a huge grin slapped on my face, and my chin raised up, ready to take on the world.

But I was afraid to write anything last week--why? Was I not bustling with things to say? For sure. But as soon as I arrived back at my Philly apartment and melted into regular life, I felt absence and doubt. Absence because I had been living in a bubble of positive re-enforcement for the long weekend...I had become part of a team, a new family. Even though I had been suddenly thrown together with seven other strangers, the common goals and passions bonded us more than some people I've known for years. And what a group to be surrounded by! So enthusiastic and team-oriented. If we all could be surrounded by a team like this all the time, our lives would be so much more happy! This great team-experience confirmed what I had already known: surround yourself with positive people. It makes all the difference!

I felt doubt because I wasn't certain if this feeling was going to endure. No longer having my enthusiastic team in the audience whooping me on, would my perspective remain altered or would I fade back into the patterns of yesterday? Perhaps this is a morbid comparison, but I'm reminded of the classic funerary speech: "let's not forget how we're feeling today and how important it is to live our lives to the fullest." It's a great sentiment, but it seems as though the very next day we're all back in our routines and that passionate feeling of yesterday has faded into oblivion until the next eye-awakening event comes and is then forgotten. It is my hope to hold onto the new principles I learned last weekend and make them apart of my everyday life. Two weeks later, I'm still flying high, so I think at least for now I can rest aside my doubts.

So here we go.

Have you ever gone to something, i.e. a movie or a class, thinking you knew exactly what it was all about, and then later realize that you really had no idea at all? This is exactly what happened to me. I've been taking BP classes for over a year. I, as a participant, loved the workout: all the classic weight room moves set to rockin' music. I would tell people to go because it seemed to be the quickest way to build toned muscle. Me, marathoner, was finally building arm muscles--muscles you could see through my sleeves! Unbelievable.

When I went to the instructor training, I figured I would be taught the choreography and how to instruct it. I felt extremely confident about my technique and my ability to pick up routines, so I thought this would be pretty straight forward. Little did I know that BP is not just weights to music, but it represents a whole set of principles to live by: the program is based on psychological coaching techniques that can be applied to any part of your life. Thus, being a BP instructor is not just about memorizing and instructing moves: I am your coach and you are my team. We are working together to achieve your goals.

FYI: The following is a mix of my own notes/observations and information from the BODYPUMP manual.

Culture in the Weight Room?
BP is part of a larger organization called Les Mills. The founder, Les Mills, competed in 4 Olympic Games before opening his own gym in Aukland, NZ in 1968. Before long, Les Mills gyms were popping up all over NZ. In 1990, Les Mills created BP. Soon after, other programs were created like BodyVive, BodyCombat, and RPM. Now, there are 8 different programs, 5 million people per week taking classes from all over the globe, and ~80, ooo BP instructors globally.

Why do people love these classes so much? What's the big whoop? Well, as I alluded to earlier, Les Mills programs are not just about putting moves to music. I learned this past weekend that the BP program is based off of the Maori traditions and customs in New Zealand. According to the BP Handbook, two of the most popular Maori traditions are called the Haka and the Hongo. The haka is an ancient warlike challenge with fierce movements performed to a Maori chant. It is a regular custom at Les Mills events to symbolize the global challenge for our 'warrior-like' instructors in the war against obesity.

The second popular custom at Les Mills is called the hongi: the Maori welcome expressed by the pressing of noses (similar to kissing someone on the cheek to greet them). The literal meaning of hongi is 'the sharing of breath'. In the hongi (the traditional greeting), the ha or breath of life is exchanged and intermingled. Through the exchange of this physical greeting, you are no longer considered manuhiri (visitor), but rather tengata whenua, one of the people of the land. Les Mills trainers and instructors often greet each other with a strong Roman-style handshake incorporating the hongi into their greeting.

Sure enough, this was the first thing we learned about (and did) at the training. Seven strangers stood in a circle and one-by-one went around and pressed noses together while grasping forearms. We also said simultaneously, "Kia Ora Nina" meaning, "Greetings, my name is Nina." Not being accustomed to unknown persons entering my space, I definitely blushed and giggled a bit. This sharing of the Ha, or life breath, was a very intimate and surprising start to the weekend! I didn't realize it at the time, but this exchange represents one of the main principles at Les Mills: connecting to people.

Incorporating Maori traditions into a global exercise program gives participants a sense of belonging to something larger than themselves. I remarked several times over the course of the weekend how glad I was to become an instructor because I felt like I was part of a team again. This is what I miss most about college--being on the track team and having a constant source of camaraderie and passion.

Science in the Weight Room?

The big wigs in New Zealand coming up with the new BP routines every three months have a team of scientists, physiologists, choreographers, and coaches to research all the how's and whys:
How many squats can you do in a row safely and for how long?
How little rest can you get by with without passing out?
What are the best combinations of moves to get the most results?
In sum, the exercise selection, sequencing, and intensity are scientifically researched, debated, and rehearsed many times before the new release reaches the clubs. These routines are not just random moves that look good!

The physiological aims of BP are:
1. Burn calories (473/class)
2. Increase lean muscle mass by increasing muscle endurance and strength
3. Increase bone density

Basically, BP tones muscles without bulking you up, changes your body shape, increases your metabolism, makes you stronger, and gives you better muscle and cardiovascular endurance.
The training emphasized becoming familiar with the science and physiology behind the exercises. To be a great coach, you not only need to know what moves to do, you also need to be able to explain why you're doing them. For example, why do we do all the exercises in a "set position: to protect joints and muscles, to isolate one muscle group at a time, to work the core while working, for example, your biceps, etc. Being an athlete and a scientist myself, I appreciated this education as it deepened my own understanding of my own training as well as helped me to connect better with others and help them achieve their goals.
Philosophy in the Weight Room?
We're Coaches, Not Instructors

Before getting to the philosophy of BP, let me backtrack and explain the structure of the weekend. There were six of us folk who trudged to Swansea, MA (Where is that? In the stix.) for a three day intensive training course. Friday we met from 12-9pm. Saturday and Sunday from 8-5. Since I was staying with my sister in Charlestown, MA, I had a nice extra 70 minute drive out to a strip mall that is called the town of Swansea.

On the first day, I arrived on time (a miracle, I know) with a few extra jitters of anticipation. We started off the session with the Kia Ora and then an hour-long class of BP. I looked askance at the weight selection of the others and wondered if that was their regular weights: they had double the amount of weight that I usually do. They didn't look that much better in shape that I, so I concluded that they must be having some adrenaline-induced competitive flair and over-loading up the plates. I was well-minded of the fact that this was the first hour of a many hour workout and thus kept with the regular weight. This turned out to be very advantageous as we did two rounds of BP that day plus a lot of technique work (which required to hold each position in the correct form for ungodly amounts of time).

Anyways, our trainer, Tara, took the stage and ripped off her warm up clothes to start the class. OMG. Move over Sydney Bristow aka Jennifer Garner, here comes Tara. With her Nike Black Boots (we're talking laced up all the way to below the knee), spandex shorts and a BP sports bra, my jaw dropped to the ground. The essence of BP before my eyes (yes I was envious): toned, not bulky, with, of course, a cool jeweled belly button ring to accent a nice, flat four-pack. To top it off her hair was perfectly quaffed in cute, brunette pigtails (I know, "cute", but believe you me, it was HOTTT). Man, she had that sort of coolness about her that not only comes from her kick ass appearance, but also a sense of confidence that she exudes.

After the shock of her rocking bod diminished, I became aware of the fact that she kept calling us 'Team.' Not, 'Hey Guys, Dudes, or Whatever,' but Team. I immediately perked up to this notion of us, instructors-in-training, were all on the same team and out to accomplish our goal together. I immediately felt I had a clear place in this group of unknown persons. This was the first glimpse into the idea that BP is not just a class of individuals; the person leading the group is not just an instructor, but a coach who instructs, educates and motivates. It is a place where strangers come together, unite for an hour, grunt and sweat through an intense workout led by a coach, and then leave, feeling joyous at having accomplished a common goal. Does the saying, "Misery loves company" ring a bell? What better way to get through a tough workout when you know that a whole slew of people are going through the same exact agony??

After we swat through the class, Tara roped us in to introduce some coaching skills. I was pretty surprised to see her put up a big poster with two quotes on it. One by psychologist Carl Jung, "Criticism has the power to do good when there is something that must be destroyed, dissolved or reduced but is capable of only harm when there is something to be built." The second by author and motivational speaker Zig Ziglar, "A lot of people have gone further than they thought they could because someone else thought they could." The first quote introduces the CRC (connect, recommend, commend) model of BP coaching. It emphasizes how to create positive change. Tara pointed out to us that most people coming to class have very busy lives; since participants have elected to spend a whole hour of their day with us, which is a lot considering the many commitments people have, they should leave the class feeling better about themselves than when they entered. The best way to get the participant to improve (and keep coming back to class) is to be very mindful of how you correct bad form or how to get people to work harder. If you notice someone not executing proper technique, instead of shouting, "Hey Fartface, what are you doing? That looks terrible!," make eye contact and say something more general, "Let's try to to it this way." Sometimes, you may not even have to say anything at all, just make eye contact, then try a non-verbal approach, such as emphasizing the correct form.

The second quote alludes to the idea that people can achieve gads more knowing that someone else is there who believes in them and who gives them a positive experience. Tara illuminated that some people have no one in their lives who supports them going to the gym. It's hard for me to imagine a day without working out, since it's been a part of my daily routine since the sixth grade. I was reminded that there are many people out there who have lots of trouble just getting to the gym and moreover, have people at home telling them that they're crazy to go lift weights and tire themselves out. I mean, they might miss an episode of Idol, and that would just be insane! Therefore, as BP coaches, it is our responsibility to take participants to a place where they couldn't (or wouldn't) go by themselves. And to keep in mind that the individuals coming to class all have different reasons for being there and different self-esteem levels. A great saying that Tara used a lot was, "Can't lives on won't street." It's up to us coaches to motivate people to get to that next level of training.

In sum:
BP Coaches are here to create positive changes
BP Coaches are here to bring you to a place where you couldn't (or wouldn't) go on your own


Magic in the Weight Room?
Pump is not pretty. You sweat, you burn, you groan, you whoop. By the last run through of BP on the third day, we were the essence of Pump. Each one of us fed off of the the adrenaline/endorphin rush of the other. The harder it got, the more we swat, the more feral our cheers became. The seven of us created fitness magic together that last hour. This magic is created through mastery of the choreography, the technique, the coaching, and also by really connecting with the other members of the team. This may be the most important, albeit slightly intangible, element that underlies the BP. As a coach, you may have solid technique and know the chorey, but if you can't bring the people together, there will be something missing from the routine--probably something that they can't even identify. Recall the last time you were captivated by an experience. Maybe buried in a good book? Lying on the ground looking up at the stars in awe? Watching your favorite artist perform? How did it make you feel? Did the hairs on the back of your neck stand up? That's right; regardless of your specific feelings you were swept away on a journey. Your senses were heightened; you actually stopped thinking and started feeling. This is magic. And it is the overall goal to to create it in our classes--by bringing the chorey, the technique, the coaching, and the connecting together.

After learning all of the factors that go into leading a kick ass class, I started to doubt myself. Can I pull this all together? The first step is to learn the chorey so well that you don't have to think about it. It becomes intuitive (this is what is so great about the chorey and the music--once you become familiar with it, you can just feel what kind of a move you should be doing). It's only after this accomplishment that you can work on your coaching and connecting skills--the coaching happens WHILE you are leading the choreography and portraying correct technique. There really is no room for contemplating what move comes next if you want to be able to look to your teammates, observe if they have proper form, connect with them, and correct it...then you still have to remember to give people pre-cues so they know what move is coming next. This is what I have to work on. I find myself saying the cue exactly as the change comes. I myself have gotten to the point where I don't have to think about the chorey, but sometimes I forget that I have to let everyone else know before a switch happens.

I congratulate anyone who actually read all the way through this. It's amazing how much one can learn and be inspired in one long weekend. I still have loads to share, but I have to cut this lengthy post off. I've been writing this since Monday and the revision is cumbersome. I usually am very focused in my writing and determining what I want to say, but I have found this difficult. Maybe because it had a profound impact on me and I feel I can't really do it justice. Maybe because I learned so many things about coaching, training, and most of all myself, it makes it difficult to boil things down to their essence. Also, when something is important to me, I want other people in my life to get it too. Why am I obsessed with this? Whay am I talking about it all the time? This post is the tip of an explanay. Anyways, hopefully I've laid things out in a cohesive fashion.

A la proche.

1 comment:

  1. For my own reference, I posted this today, Friday, January 23, 2009 @ 8:57 pm. I guess the 14th is when I started working on this. The training was January 9-11th.

    ReplyDelete