Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Ahh, the sweet jugs!

First, Happy New Year's!!! Have fun and be safe! I'm getting ready to leave work for the day, so I only have time for a short post. I'll continue with the Art of Eating tomorrow.

I was climbing today during lunch at Go Vertical with my trusty climbing buddy and current BB, Emily, when I remarked on how the 5.7's and 5.8's were feeling more like 5.10's and 5.11's. All the holds felt so small. Each move was a struggle. It was a battle against the wall and the wall definitely won. Seriously, I ripped off several of my calluses and accrued several cuts on my knuckles and bruises on my knees...Compare this to Monday night when all my moves were as smooth as buttah and I cruised through the 8's and 9's. The holds all felt good and I never questioned a move. The knowledge of how to send the route was intuitive and logical. It flowed through me.

One great thing about climbing is that there is always a different challenge to be had. Today, it was just about getting through one move at a time, patiently making my way to the top. Other days it's all about trying to perfect each move and fill them with decision and grace.

Challenges aside, I simply enjoy the feeling of how my body moves from one position to another. This last phenomenon is one of the coolest aspects of climbing: I find myself day dreaming about a particular move while I'm at the grocery store or some other mundane place and murmuring to myself, "Oh man, it would feel so good to do that move right now..."

We finished our session today with this nice 5.5 and man did the holds feel so great after struggling with the 5.8's crimpy holds. When I got down from it, I turned to Em and exlaimed, "Ahh the sweet jugs...they feel soooo good." We had a good chucke about it.

Alright, it's time to go pahdy hahdy as we say in Boston. Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment